All new file browser
- The old file browser was removed and replaced by a new compact solution. It is based on the file browser known from import dialog.
- The previous “Notebook” tab in the main screen is now called “Files”. Notebook is now just your document “home” folder.
- You can now freely navigate the filesystem and all files are shown (previously: only folders and text documents).
- Add any file or folder to your favourites! Long press a file/folder and tap the star button to add to or remove from favourites.
- Favourite files are highlighted by Markor’s red accent color.
- Use the new quick navigation menu option to quickly navigate to your favourites, recently viewed files and more.
- Favourites are listed as normal files/folders in the file browser. They appear virtual under the special folder
/storage/favourite-files. When a folder gets selected, the file browser will navigate to the real folder. Files get opened.
- You can also set
Favouritesas default folder to load on app start. Check out the blog post section about settings!
Improved SD Card support
- Markor now uses the Android Storage Access Framework to access SD cards.
- To mount a SD card (so files can be edited by Markor), navigate to the SD card folder.
- (first screenshot) Press the
+button and a descrptive dialog appears.
- (second screenshot) Follow the steps shown in the dialog to give Markor access to your SD card.
- (third screenshot) Files on the SD card are not striked out anymore, which means Markor has write access to the file/folder.
New and updated Settings
App start folder
You can find this new option at
General -> App start folder. It allows you to select the special folder to load when Markor starts. The default is Notebook.
Do you want multiple Notebooks? Favourite multiple folders and set the start folder to
Add custom fonts to Markor!
Custom fonts do change the default text appearance in edit & view mode. They work just as system fonts do, but you need to install for them to appear.
Install font: Copy font to one of these locations:
Select font: Settings option at Editor -> Document Editor Font
- 1: System (default) fonts are always listed on top.
- The default option is Roboto Regular (sans-serif-regular)
- 2/3: Custom fonts are listed below system fonts. The font name is taken from the filename. To identify the correct font the absolute path is shown as well. Custom fonts are ordered as listed in Install font
- 4: Bundled fonts
Markor bundles thes additional fonts (free & open license only):
|Font||Alternative to||Known from|
|Liberation Mono||Courier New||Microsoft Wordpad|
|Liberation Sans||Arial||Google Docs|
|Liberation Serif||Times New Roman||Previous default Microsoft Word font|
|Open Sans||Calibri||Default Microsoft Word font|
|Roboto Slab||Google Keep|
|DejaVu Sans||Linux desktop, Firefox|
|DejaVu Sans Mono||Linux terminals (=Monospaced)|
|Ubuntu||Default font on Ubuntu desktops|
|Lato||Popular font for websites|
|Source Sans Pro||Popular font for websites|
|Source Serif Pro||Popular font for websites|
|Source Code Pro||Popular font for editing code|
- Show app intro at first start
- All new file navigation
- Add favourite files
- Add quick navigiation options (to notebook, sdcard, AppData and more)
- Add option to set Navigation-Bar color
- Combine edit & view mode to one fragment, show view as overlay
- Add horizontal scrolling for code blocks in view mode
- More efficient undo/redo
- Option to enable/disable swipe to change mode
- WikiLinks: Disable default escaped characters, so subfolder path is not converted to hyphen
- Added fonts: Source Pro, DejaVu Sans Mono, Ubuntu, Lato
- Scan storage Fonts folder for custom fonts
- Add word count to document info dialog
- Two first-time-contributors and zero previous contributors improved the source code of the Markor project in this update. Learn how you can improve the project by code
- In this update totally 72 commits were made, 130 changed files, 5.001 additions and 2.249 deletions.
- There were totally 7 minor releases in prepartion of this update.
- 36 new strings were added for translation. 67 contributors are now translating the Markor project. Help by translating Markor into your language.
- Google Play
- Mastodon / G-Droid / F-Droid: Toot a message starting with (copy paste):
@email@example.com #net_gsantner_markor #fdroid_app_comments #markor @firstname.lastname@example.org Markor feedback:
Markor is a TextEditor for Android. This project aims to make an editor that is versatile, flexible, and lightweight. Markor utilizes simple markup formats like Markdown and todo.txt for note-taking and list management. Markor is versatile at working with text, it can also be used for keeping bookmarks, copying to clipboard, fast opening a link from text and lots of more. Created files are interoptable with any other plaintext software on any platform.Markor is using open formats and is free software, openly developed and accepts community contributions.
📝 Create notes and manage your to-do list using simple markup formats
🌲 Work completely offline - whenever, wherever
👌 Compatible with any other plaintext software on any platform – edit with notepad or vim, filter with grep, convert to PDF or create a zip archive
🖍 Syntax Highlighting and format related actions – quick insert pictures and to-do
👀 Convert, preview, and share documents as HTML and PDF
📚 Notebook: Store all documents on a common filesystem folder
📓 QuickNote: Fast accessible for keeping notes
☑️ To-Do: Write down your to-do
🔖 LinkBox: Share pages to read later into bookmark list
🖍 Markup formats: Markdown and todo.txt
📋 Copy to clipboard: Copy any text, including text shared into Markor
💡 Notebook is the root folder of documents and can be changed to any location on filesystem. LinkBox, QuickNote and ToDo are textfiles
🎨 Highly customizeable, dark theme available
💾 Auto-Save with options for undo/redo
👌 No ads or unnecessary permissions
🌎 Language selection – use other language than on the system
💡 Unlike other office suites (like LibreOffice) or to-do apps (like Wunderlist), Markor has one streamlined text editor with no other editing UI. Markor shows how powerful and expressive simple text can be. View, edit, manipulate and convert plaintext!
🔃 Markor works with sync apps, but they have to do syncing respectively. Sync clients known to work in combination include BitTorrent Sync, Dropbox, FolderSync, OwnCloud, NextCloud, Seafile, Syncthing, Syncopoli
👀 These apps may also be in your interest if you like Markor: OneNote, EverNote, Google Keep, Wunderlist, Read-It-Later, Pocket, Epsilon Notes, iA Writer, Todoist, Shaarli, Wallabag, Simple Notes, Simpletask, Share to clipboard, NextCloud Bookmarks, Easy Open Link
The app doesn’t use the internet connection unless external resources are referenced in self created documents (on purpose). The app is working completly offline, no internet connection required! No personal data will be requested or shared (i.e. calendar or contacts). Documents can be shared to other apps from inside the app by pressing the share button. Document will be stored locally in the device public documents folder or in a custom folder.
Contributing to the project
- For general information and howto get started, see gsantner’s Android contribution guide
- Translation / Localization is done at Crowdin. Joining the translationg team is done in no time. If a language is mising, contact the maintainer.
- Bug reports and feature requests are collected at GitHub.
- Code contributions are always welcome, visit the issue tracker for open issues. Your help is needed.