Markor v2.5 update is out! Get the update from F-Droid, Google Play or GitHub!
Continue reading to find out what’s new, improved and fixed in this update.
New format: Zim Wiki
The Markor community has been asking for Zim & Wiki Text support a long time, now it is available at Markor. It is implemented at full glance including syntax highlighting (edit mode), text actions & converter (view mode).
If you don’t know how the Zim format & syntax works, Markor also includes a reference template
that gives you an overview. It is available from the
+ (New file) dialog in the app or from GitHub.
How does it look like?
What is available?
Most features that the Zim syntax offers are available from the beginning for everything at Markor.
So beside Markdown you can now also use Zim for taking notes, keeping journals, organize your tasks and more.
|Category||Actions, Highlighting, View|
|List||Ordered (1./a.), Unordered (* ), Tasks/Checkboxes (☑️)|
|Text Style||Bold, Italic, Underline, |Striketrough, Superscript, Subscript
|Color||Marked (Highlighted), Foreground, Background|
|Special||Headings 1-5, |
Code (inline & block)
|References||Web links, Files & Wiki entries, Images|
Notice: This is the first version of Markor with Zim support. Improvements, potentials fixes & more features to come!
What is Zim?
Zim is a graphical text editor used to maintain a collection of wiki pages. Each page can contain links to other pages, simple formatting and images. Pages are stored in a folder structure, like in an outliner, and can have attachments. Creating a new page is as easy as linking to a nonexistent page. All data is stored in plain text files with wiki formatting.
Zim can be used to:
- Keep an archive of notes
- Keep a daily or weekly journal
- Take notes during meetings or lectures
- Organize task lists
- Draft blog entries and emails
- Do brainstorming
Zim handles several types of markup, like headings, bullet lists and of course bold, italic and highlighted. This markup is saved as wiki text so you can easily edit it with other editors.
Source: zim-wiki.org, December 2020
Search & Replace - Simple or Regex
Text replace functionality was added to Markor - for both simple and advanced use cases.
- You can do simple text replacements (
text a ->
text b )
- You can do Regex replacements (
- You can do Replace (1) (next occurrence from current cursor position)
- You can Replace all (all occurrences in the current file)
- You can view the amount of matches - count specific words, characters & more (optionally with regex)
How to replace?
- Open a file & use the Search button in the toolbar (🔍)
- Open the Replace popup via Search / Replace
- Enter search text & the replacement, check regex/multiline as needed
- Use Replace (1) or all to execute the replacement
How does it look like?
Android SDK & supported devices
Markor is now built with Android SDK 29, minimum required by Google Play.
Markors minimum supported Android version remains unchanged - „Android Jelly Bean 4.1 (API16)“.
Continuous Integration & Delivery
The project switched to GitHub Actions for CI/CD as it integrates best with GitHub
& there are no relevant restrictions for Open Source projects currently.
Benefits for users
The switch not only comes with benefits for developers, but also users.
Download & install development builds of Markor from the GitHub Actions artifacts now.
You can install the test app (👁️Mordor) beside Markor.
This means you can see in-development features & try them before any update is released.
Not only builds of merged changes are available for download, but also from upcoming changes of not-yet-merged pull requests.
Open a build to download apk, build & test logs, apk info & more..
Per file settings
Some file specific options were added to the editor toolbar menu.
The global settings are still used as long you don’t toggle/change any setting in a file.
You can find the File-Settings in the top toolbar, given you have a file open.
It currently includes:
- File format (Plaintext / Key-Value / Markdown / todo.txt / Zim Wiki)
- Enable/Disable line wrapping
- Enable/Disable syntax highlighting
New color schemes & templates
- Nord editor color scheme was added
- Zim Wiki related templates/samples were added
- Zettelkasten template/sample was added
Markor gets a lot of new features, improvements and fixes with every update.
This time especially due the hard work of Harshad Srinivasan, Frederic Jacob, Peter Schwede, Gregor Santner & more.
Thank you very much!
Notice: Development changelog is always available from GitHub. See the history for code changes.
- Add Zim Wiki format and template #1098
- Add search & replace (simple|regex, replace once|all) #1112
- Add settings for current file to toolbar #1129
- Fix file sometimes not opens from launcher shortcut #1139
- Use GitHub Actions for CI/CD #1151
- Add template for Zettelkasten #1156
- Add Nord editor color scheme #1134
- Allow to select folder when create new file via share into Markor #1138
- Improve license dialog readability #1119
- General improvements, fixes and translations