Markor v2.10 update is out! Get the update from F-Droid or GitHub!
Continue reading to find out what’s new, improved and fixed in this update.
The right place to ask
If you have questions or found an issue please head to Markor GitHub Discussions and ask there. Search for same and related issues/questions before, it might be already answered or resolved.
Every day I (gsantner) get many personal emails containing feature requests & questions about Markor. It takes much time to answer these things. Often it is already answered public - or to another person as response in private email. This means wasted time, which can’t be used for improving & developing Markor.
You are kindly asked to discuss at the proper place, which is Markor GitHub Discussions.
How to install & update Markor
You can install (& update) Markor from F-Droid and GitHub Releases.
The 2.8.0 version remains available, but no updates will be deployed to Google Play. The available downloads on GitHub are signed by me (gsantner) and have the same signature like on Google Play. This means you can download the *.apk from GitHub and directly install the update if you currently use the Google Play version.
Download the latest Markor update from GitHub here:
Markor is also available from F-Droid, the store for free & open source apps. The *.apk’s available for download are signed by the F-Droid team and guaranteed to correspond to the (open source) source code of Markor. Generally this is the recommended way to install Markor & keep it updated.
Share Into: Automatically remove tracking parameters
Did you know you can share content and URLs into Markor? One of the core features or Markor is Share Into, a window specifically for sharing stuff into Markor and quickly appending to existing files (like QuickNote & ToDo), recent opened files or to write into new created files - all from the same place.
- Beside QuickNote & ToDo you might recall another special file at Markor - LinkBox. One of the main features of Share Into is to share links (from i.e. your web browser) into Markor, to create bookmarks & link lists.
- Text/Title of links and the URL are extracted and automatically formated in Markdown syntax, resulting in fancy clickable links when you view your Markdown documents later. Note that you can share any text into Markor, it is not limited to links.
- Often shared text is not the way you want it. You can edit text prior appending it to your file. As shown in the screenshot above there is a editor with syntax highlighting. So if you have to add a few words, rewrite & restructure some text prior pasting - go ahead, no problem.
- You can also re-share the text without adding it to any file (i.e. share into Markor, add a few words, share the final text to 5 messenger contacts)
- Sometimes apps only have the option to share a web-accessible link, but none to open it yourself in the browser. In case a URL is in the shared text, Markor also shows the option to open the link in a browser.
New in Markor 2.10
Automatically remove tracking & analytics parameters from URLs shared into Markor.
Usually when you share URLs from articles you will notice that it is multiple lines long, by adding a lot of unwanted tracking & analytics parameters.
Markor helps you here to clean the URLs prior displaying them - by removing parameters like utm_, ref, fbclid & more.
New file dialog: Custom file templates & snippets
FLASHBACK (Added in Markor 2.9)
Create as many custom snippets / templates you like by placing textfiles in the subdirectory
.app/snippets of your Markor notebook (start) directory.
Open a document and place the cursor on whatever position you want to insert text.
Then click the new snippets button on the bottom-bar (see screenshot) and select the desired snippet.
Note: The snippet directory is automatically created the first time you click the snippets button in the bottom-bar.
NEW (Added in Markor 2.10)
Being able to make custom file templates and creating new files of it was a very frequent requested feature.
Now with this Markor update this feature is available. Using the same system like snippets (as seen above) you can create files out of templates directly in the new file dialog.
With this improvement the system is even more flexible - based on the same templates you create once, you can
- create & start editing a complete new file
- insert anywhere right at the cursor while editing a file
Most dialogs got a few minor improvements. The most important change is that the search dialog keeps now open when you used in-content search. This allows you to jump & browse other search matches without repeating the search.
Changes to file browser & file management
Increased performance & under the hood improvements:
Markor got lot’s of under the hood improvements in all areas - editor, filebrowser, syntax highlighting, textactions, widgets…